PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLONOSCOPY
Do these things 7 DAYS BEFORE the procedure:
• Arrange a ride: you will be given medicine that makes you relax and be sleepy, so you cannot drive a car or take a bus home. If you arrive without an escort, your procedure may need to be rescheduled.
• Stop taking aspirin
• If you are taking Coumadin or Plavix, call your doctor or nurse for special instructions.
Do these things 3 DAYS BEFORE the procedure:
• Review the diet you need to follow for the next 2 days. Plan your meals according to this diet.
Do these things 2 DAYS BEFORE the procedure:
• Stop taking all anti-inflammatory medicines. These include: Nuprin, Bufferin, Anacin, Advil, Motrin, Indocin, Voltran, Aleve, Ecotrin, Relafen, Alka Seltzer, Naprosyn, Voltaren (Tylenol is okay to take)
• Stop eating seeds, popcorn, nuts and whole grains
• Do not eat any solid food after midnight
Do these things 1 DAY BEFORE the procedure:
• Start a strict, clear liquid diet. If you put a liquid in a clear glass, and you can see through it, it is probably OK to drink. A clear liquid diet can include:
-Apple, white grape, and cranberry juices;
-Beef or chicken broths that are clear;
-Tea and coffee without milk;
-Soda pop, Gatorade, Kool-Aid and various -Jell-O flavors (any color except red)
• Avoid: juices with pulp, milk, cream and solid food.
1st BOTTLE 5 PM night before colonoscopy 2nd bottle at 9 PM
NPO after midnight
Please see the attachments below for other patient informational material: